Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Azincourt (Bernard Cornwell)


As previously posted, I've been working through my British reading list for over a year now.  Actually, I've been cheating a bit, and counting any British book I've read in the last 3-4 years, before I officially started my quest.  Since this blog is only six months old, it means there are lots of books I've read on my list that haven't been reviewed here.  I'm currently slogging through a few long (but good) historical works, and in this 'lull,' thought I'd post some reviews from books I've read in the recent past.

Azincourt is a work of historical fiction, covering the battle of the same name (it's also been called Agincourt).  Fought in 1415 (during the Hundred Years War), Azincourt was a major victory for the numerically inferior English over the French.  Led by Henry V, the English made extensive use of the longbow, and Cornwell covers not only the battle, but also this interesting technology in-depth.

The story is told from the perspective of Nicholas Hook, a fictional archer in Henry V's army.  It begins a few years before the battle, and follows Hook (and the English army) as they make their way across the channel into France, also covering the battle of Harfleur (which immediately preceded Azincourt).  The English captured the city, albeit after a month-long siege, and after many fall victim to a dysentery outbreak.  After the victory, they make to escape back to England, but are stopped by the French at Azincourt.  The French are the superior force, and have many knights, but the battleground (and conditions) favors the archers, and the English (shockingly) defeat the French soundly.  The longbow was an amazing weapon, taking about ten years (and a tremendous amount of strength) to master.  It's incredible to think that an arrow could pierce knight's armor, but with the standard pull-weight of the longbow being over 100 lbs, it's within the realm of possibility. 

This is a great book.  You learn a lot about the battle and the longbow- it was so inspiring that I wanted to take longbow lessons immediately after reading.  The pace and depth are good; the writing clear.  I highly recommend it.

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment