Friday, January 18, 2013

The Master and Margarita (Mikhail Bulgakov)


First things first: I'm going to stop putting descriptors, like "book review," in the title of relevant posts, and instead rely on labels, as that's what they're there to do.

Okay, on to The Master and Margarita.  Written in the 1930s by the Soviet Mikhail Bulgakov, this work is hailed as a masterpiece of modern literature.  Google the title and you'll find many websites are dedicated to just this book.  So, needless to say, I was really anticipating this one.  And . . . thud.

Maybe I'm uncultured, uneducated, or just not in tune with Russian thought, but this book did nothing for me.  The basic premise: the devil and a small personal retinue (which include a giant black cat, two odd-looking men, and a naked witch) arrive in Moscow, and wreak havoc in a land whose people are taught that neither he nor God exist.  Among the people affected by this unholy presence is the Master, an ostracized writer whose recent work on Pontius Pilate has received poor reviews, and his devoted lover Margarita.  There's more to it, but that's the gist.

Unfortunately, I just didn't get it.  It was labeled as contemplative, poignant, and humorous, but I experienced almost none of these moments.  A few odd things, yes, but the only reason I completed this was because I was hoping the end would have a huge payoff that would render the whole experience worthwhile.  It didn't.  I was left wondering what the point was.  A work of theology?  No.  Humor?  Partially.  Anything else?  No idea.  Oh well.  I'm confident the other Russian selections would be more in line with my interests.

Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment