Tuesday, January 1, 2013

So begins 2013: A Look Ahead


Happy 2013!

I've found great value in planning my reading (though I'm always open to changing the plan for the right book).  So, what does 2013 look like on the reading front?  As previously posted, I plan on reading less in 2013 than 2012.  I'm shooting for 36 works, most of which are on my British reading list.  Regarding said list, 2013 is the "year of the series."  I plan on reading (or finishing) the following series this year:

- Harry Potter (7 books)
- The Lord of the Rings (3 books)
- Sherlock Holmes' adventures (4 books remain)

That will take care of 14 of the British books on tap this year.  The two British selections I'm anticipating most, though, are The Ingoldsby Legends and the Mabinogion Tetralogy.  Never heard of them?  Me neither, until this past year, and both sound excellent. Look them up!

On the non-British front, I hope to have a decidedly Russian flavor this year, as I hope to tackle:
The Master and Margarita (Nabokov)
War and Peace (Tolstoy)
Notes from the Underground (Dostoevksy)
Nicholas and Alexandra (Massie)
George F. Kennan: An American Life (Gaddis)
Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe (Applebaum)

So, Lord willing, it looks to be an exciting reading year.  I did the numbers- I plan to read about 15,900 pages this year.  Sounds like a lot, but again, quick math tells me that's only 44 pages/day- about 45 minutes.  Very doable.

One final comment: I'm very nervous about reading Harry Potter.  For some reason, I believe I will not enjoy them.  But, I'll plan to read 3 at least, and if I'm not hooked by then, so be it.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment