Monday, December 31, 2012

Thus Concludes 2012: A Very British Reading Year

Well, 2012 ends today.  It's hard to believe; each year seems to pass more and more quickly.  It must be my age.  Anyway, I read more in 2012 than the past five years combined-  72 works in all.  Being honest, though, a few works were hardly lengthy- some could even be read in under an hour, the most notable examples being the Magna Carta, a selection of Shakespearean sonnets, and Rime of the Ancient Mariner.  There was a healthy dose of graphic novels and ghost stories, too- always quick reads.  So, don't think that I reeled off 72 War and Peace-like tomes.  Still, I am pleased with my achievement.  In fact, so pleased I need to take a tangent here.

------------------
TANGENT
------------------ 
72 books in one year.  Sounds like a lot, doesn't it?  But, it's really not.  Let's look at the math.
366 days in 2012/72 books equals about 1 book every 5 days.  I don't know the average pages per book- but let's say it's 350.  350 pages/book * (1 book/5 days) = 70 pages/day. I think I read about 1 page per minute, so that means 70 minutes a day reading.  Sound like a lot?  Well, how much time do you spend on the Internet or watching television each day?  Not to mention I can read on the bus to work (10-20 pages, generally, on the bus each direction).  So, while it may sound impressive, it's quite achievable. 
------------------
END TANGENT
------------------

As you'd expect, the vast majority of my reads- 63- were from my British reading list.  Here were my
Top 10 British books of the year:
Excalibur by Bernard Cornwell.  (the third book of the Warlord trilogy)
The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare by G.K. Chesterton
A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
Watchmen by Alan Moore
The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie
Murder in Retrospect by Agatha Christie
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Your Mind Matters by John Stott
Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Crusades by Thomas Asbridge

Not every selection was peachy, though.  Here are 3 of my biggest disappointments (note that they're all from centuries ago):
Historia Brittonum by Nennius
The Ecclesiastical History of the English People by Bede
The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth

I love doing this British reading list "thing"- I highly recommend it, especially to those who find themselves living in the British Isles.  It's heightened my understanding and enjoyment of the overseas experience.  I have struggled, though, with keeping to the original intent.  At first, my British list was intended to give me a wide sampling of the famous British tomes from every genre.  I find myself, however, turning it into a list of every book by a Brit I ever want to read.  Thus, the number of books on the list swells easily- and then I have to do some pruning to keep it tenable.  I read one book, and discover five more in the same genre that I want to explore.  It's fun, but bad for keeping goals realizable.  I need to learn to stay on target.

It wasn't all about the Brits this year.  On the non-British side, I thoroughly enjoyed:
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

While I enjoyed the journey, 2013 will see me reading fewer works.  72 is unsustainable- my goal is no more than 36 works in 2013.  Yes, it's odd to have a "maximum" goal in this area, but I've found I can turn the most worthy pursuit into an unhealthy obsession, so things must be done.

Happy reading in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment