Friday, December 28, 2012

Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)


I was blessed with many books for Christmas, and in keeping with my "minimization" goals, that means I have to clean out my shelves and make room for the new.  One casualty is Brave New World by Huxley.  A great work, it pains me to get rid of it, but such is life.  I read it a few years ago, so my memory isn't 100%, but I wanted to give a quick review before I got rid of it.

In Brave New World, we see a future where, essentially, everyone's drugged to be happy.  Technology is god- and the people praise "Ford" for his breakthroughs in this arena.  Any form of attachment is discouraged, as attachment can cause pain down the road, and so frivolous, uncommitted living is highly encouraged.  Techniques have been developed to minimize the effect of aging (though people are still mortal), and anyone thinking sad thoughts is given (what I call) happy pills.  Oh, but here's the thing- without sorrow, there's no joy, either.  Life's just a series of events designed to keep people in an almost catatonic state of happiness.  Don't question, don't think, just be happy.  Are they really free?  I think not.

Several characters in the story exist outside of this bubble, and age normally, as well as experience all of life's ups and downs like we do today.  One of them issues this classic line: "I don't want comfort.  I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness.  I want sin."  The basic point of the book is that true freedom, and true life, entails both the good and bad, and if you take one, you take the other.

I loved this book- and the scary thing is, though it was penned 80 years ago, it's almost coming true in our society today.  A variety of drugs exist to help people through sadness and, while that's not always bad, it is (in my opinion) over-used.  Will the future hold something similar for us?  I hope not.

Rating: A+

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fascinating read. I am in aw that you have so much time to read and then blog about your reads. I've noticed though most of your posts come from early hours in the morning. I guess we all have time if we make time. I love reading, well, I used to really enjoy reading. Now I just love the idea of reading. On the occasion I make reading a priority I rarely regret my decision, although it often comes at the cost of neglecting my children and household obligations. If I pick up a good book I can't put it down. Audio books are the solution for me.

    ReplyDelete