Friday, December 28, 2012

Dabbling in the Mediocre


My readings of the last few days have been frustrating.  I've hit on several consecutive mediocre works, and decided to read selections from each- 25-33% of each work- rather than feel pressured to read them all cover to cover.  As such, I won't give in-depth review on each, but just a one-liner on the work and what I think of it:

West Highland Tales (Fitzroy Maclean)
A collection of tales from the Highlands of Scotland, the tales are told without much flourish, and are marginally interesting at best.

Rating: C-

Ghostly Tales and Sinister Stories of Old Edinburgh (Alan J. Wilson, Des Brogan, and Frank McGrail)
A few interesting tales mixed with boring or downright stupid ones.

Rating: C-

Idylls of the King (Alfred, Lord Tennyson, with art by Gustave Dore)

Ack!  I really wanted to like this, but call me uneducated- I just can't stand unrhymed verse.  A retelling of the King Arthur legends, Tennyson has skill, but it's just not for me.  The art by Dore, on the other hand, is outstanding; he's one of my favorites.  Note that this particular work is abridged; only selections from Idylls were taken.  Still, I couldn't take much more than 25% of it.

Rating (verse): C-
Rating (art): A+

No comments:

Post a Comment