Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Highland Clans (Alistair Moffat)


Two books in a few days; don't expect this pace to continue.  But, as the holidays wind to a close, I've been able to snag a bit more reading time than normal.

The Highland Clans tells the story of, well, the clans of the Scottish Highlands.  Having ancestry from that area myself, I was looking forward to this one.  I was (mostly) disappointed.  It claims to be a history of clans in general from prehistoric times to the present, but what I found was an account that meandered,  back and forth through time, presenting issues with a decent amount of confusion.  There are nuggets of goodness in here, but not many.  I'm sure there are better histories of the highland clans.  On the plus side, there are many pretty pictures.

Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment