Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Enjoyment from a Distance


Ever since I can remember, I've had an issue with materialism.  I've posted on it several times, and had it on my mind often in recent days, as I've started to fight more fervently against that tendency.  Part of the fight is reflecting on the question "why do I buy?"  This post is my stream of consciousness on that topic.

So, why do we buy . . . and buy . . . and are never satisfied?  As a quick aside, when I say "buy," I'm not talking about just stuff.  I mean anything you spend resources (like time) to acquire- like traveling, etc.  So, to rephrase- why do we keep spending resources to accumulate [insert obsession here] and are never satisfied? 

We make acquisition an unhealthy obsession for one of several reasons:
1) We think that life's about getting as much as possible.  In a sense, this is basing our self-worth on what we have.  "I have more than the Smiths, so I win" is what our hearts are thinking.  We know no better way to live- no higher purpose or calling- and so we feel "getting" is what it's all about.
2) We want to escape the difficulties we have in this life.  Acquisition can be a form of escapism.  Focus on the latest, greatest thing to take the mind off of our problems- it's a diversion to keep us from dwelling on facets of life that are unpleasant or difficult to think on.
3) We think we need to own/experience a thing to truly appreciate the beauty.  It's not enough to know that the Alps are beautiful- we must go to the Alps to see it for ourselves.

Of course, for all 3 reasons, the cycle never ends- we're never satisfied, so we keep getting, keep escaping, or keep buying to appreciate.  A look at many celebrities can confirm the futility of the endeavor- yet we still try.  I stand firm in my conviction that humans are fallen, irrational beings.  But I digress.

We buy for all three reasons, intertwined, in my opinion- but we all have our different focus areas.  For me, as I think through this, I keep coming back to reason 3- I feel I need to own/experience to truly appreciate.  It could be something grand (a long vacation), or something small (a $7 book), but in many cases, I have this urge to own it.  How can I combat this? 

Here's how I plan to fight the desire to "own to appreciate."  Oddly, it's through the Internet.  I say "oddly" because the Internet often contributes to the problem in the first place- a quick google search or well-placed advertisement can show me a world of things that I "need," awaken desires I didn't realize I had, and encourage my hand to reach for my wallet.  But, I think I can turn this in my favor by using the Internet to blog about things I like, without having to own them.  For example, I really like sports jerseys, and have been tempted in the past to buy them just because I like the way they look.  How foolish!  Instead, I'll just blog about them, and refer to that whenever I get the urge to spend.  Maybe it's a stupid idea, but maybe it will help curb my tendencies.  I can enjoy things from afar- digitally, without having to waste time or money calling something my own.  And, of course, I need to constantly remind myself of the Biblical principle: "lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:20-21, ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment