Friday, October 4, 2013

Green Arrow: Salvation (J.T. Krul)


Green Arrow is a DC Comics superhero heavily based on Robin Hood. Salvation features him, and is a graphic novel collecting 8 issues of comics, consisting of two stories:
- the conclusion of the Into the Woods story, started in the previous graphic novel (which I haven't read, unfortunately)
- a random story about Green Arrow taking on a generic fundamentalist cult.

The former is mildly interesting; a magical forest has sprung up in the middle of Star City, and Green Arrow teams with Galahad (some dude that thinks he's the famous one but isn't) and Jason Blood (a knight of Arthur's Round Table who houses an inner demon, Etrigan, from long ago) to fight  . . . well, I'm not totally sure.  One of the foes is Etrigan, but I didn't get the overall point of the story.  There are other foes, but not 'headliners,' and I think the overall point was that . . . well, I have no idea.  It's Green Arrow's forest.  I think that was the gist.  Stay out of that man's forest.

The latter is formulaic and boring.

I really like the idea of a modern Robin Hood, and enjoyed references to Arthurian literature, but overall this didn't do it for me.  I get the impression that with comics like this, you have to be 'all in' (meaning you read everything in a given story arc- not just Green Arrow, but other DC properties as well) to truly enjoy it- there were a lot of references I didn't understand.  Maybe I should have started with volume one.  The art was good, though.

Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment