Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Enormous Crocodile (Roald Dahl)


No British reading list would be complete without a work by Roald Dahl, author of many a children's classic (to include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach).  I chose to read The Enormous Crocodile because:
 - it was short (60 pages)
- it was in the local library
- we own a stuffed crocodile

Well, I must admit I was disappointed.  The story is straightforward- a crocodile wants to eat children, and sets up clever tricks to trap them.  He'd succeed, save for the other animals of the jungle, who come and warn the children to run away at every attempt.  In the end (I don't feel bad spoiling it), the elephant picks up croc by the tail, spins him around very fast, and flings him into the sun.  Meh.  Okay, but nothing earth-shattering.  I was expecting more.  I suspect I'd prefer Dahl's other works, but I'll wait until my children are older and read some of them to the kiddos. 

Rating: C

No comments:

Post a Comment