Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Arsenal



Another post celebrating my favorite athletic teams.  Today: the soccer team Arsenal, of the English Premiere League.

Origin of Fandom

Moving to England in 2011, I wanted to fully experience the Premiere League.  "Fully experience" means picking a team and rooting vehemently for them, giving you the right to gloat when they win and stew when they lose.  But, who to choose?  I've always enjoyed playing soccer, but never really watched it, so I had no history with any of the teams.  After a few weeks, I found myself drifting towards Arsenal, for three reasons:
1) they play a style of soccer I admire
2) they traded for a German national team player (my fondness for the German team has been previously discussed in this forum)
3) they have a cannon on their shirt

Lovers of the German national team in England would do well to root for Arsenal.  They've picked up a German national in each of the last three seasons- Per Mertesacker in 2011, Lukas Podolski in 2012, and Mesut Ozil in 2013. 

Podolski
Ozil
Mertesacker

Recent History

The current Arsenal coach, Arsene Wenger, has been at the helm their for 17 years.  During his tenure, they've won 11 trophies in various tournaments.  The two years I've followed them, Arsenal hasn't fared quite as well, finishing 4th in the Premiere League both seasons.  Hardly stellar, but good enough to get into the Champions League.  This year, since adding Ozil, the Gunners have enjoyed good success, and currently sit atop the Premiere League. 
The often-stern Wenger

Final Thoughts

Picking a team as an adult isn't nearly the same as rooting for one since childhood.  While I like, and root for, Arsenal, I don't have the years of investment to consider myself an ardent fan.  I hope they succeed, but don't lose sleep if they don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment