Monday, September 30, 2013

Jane Eyre (Charlotte Brontë)


I wasn't looking forward to reading Jane Eyre, as I considered it a "girlie book"- the final of the three on my reading list.  I managed to get through Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights, though, so I decided to "man up" and "get it over with."  I was blown away, in a good sense.

Jane Eyre, the narrator of the book, is an orphan raised by her cruel aunt.  Jane's eventually sent to a boarding school, where life is harsh but preferable to the difficulties of her former home.  After school, she becomes a governess, and finds herself falling in love with the master of the house, a Mr. Rochester.  A number of wild turns follow, but further summary would ruin it, so I can say no more.

Like many Victorian classics, Jane Eyre has wonderful, eloquent prose.  You find yourself instantly invested in Jane's story- and you don't know where it's heading (a fact I liked best- the opposite of so many formulaic novels).  You feel her happiness, anguish, longing, or sorrow in due season, so reading will be an emotional ride (though I, being exceedingly manly, never shed a tear, I could see how one could).  It's a good story, well told.

So I conclude the "girlie trilogy."  I have to say, I was surprised how much I enjoyed two of the works- the above and Pride and Prejudice are excellent.  Wuthering Heights has its merits, but doesn't compare to the other two.  I survived, though I feel I should turn in my man card or something.  I better go read a comic book.

Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment