Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Brethren (Robyn Young)


The first book of a trilogy, Brethren is set in the latter years of the Crusades (1260s), and features the stories of two very different people: Will Campbell, Scottish Templar-in-training, and Baybars, the legendary Mamluk slave-turned-ruler.  Using these characters on opposite sides of the conflict, author Robyn Young creates a narrative that tells us about the Crusades from both perspectives.  A work of historical fiction, Young appears to know her history . . . but I put this down after reading 20%.

In today's Information Age, an author faces an ever-increasing challenge: to grab, and hold, a reader's attention.  I found no serious flaws in this book, but it just didn't grab me- so after 120 pages, I put it down.  I can't quite pinpoint why- perhaps it was the story (which seemed to meander) or characters (who seemed shallow)- but I just couldn't get into this.  It's not bad . . . it just didn't seem very good.  And, with millions of books available, "okay" doesn't cut it.

Rating: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment