Sunday, February 15, 2015

Charlotte's Web (E.B. White)


A children's classic for decades, Charlotte's Web is the story of "some pig," Wilbur, and the spider who loves him.  She weaves webs above Wilbur's pen with messages like "some pig," "terrific," "radiant," and "humble" in them, convincing the farmer (Mr. Zuckerman) and the surrounding community that Wilbur is special and shouldn't be butchered like your typical swine.

Touching and light-hearted yet profound, Charlotte's Web is a wonderful story of love, friendship, sacrifice, and the transitory nature of life.  I don't have anything to add.  You can read it in a sitting or two- so do it.

I'll conclude with the famous line from the book that's worthy of remembrance and transmission:
"Why did you do all this for me?" he asked. "I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you."  "You have been my friend," replied Charlotte. "That in itself is a tremendous thing."
Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment