Sunday, May 10, 2015

God Loves, Man Kills (Various)


The story upon which the movie X-Men 2 was partially based, God Loves, Man Kills is the story of Reverend Stryker and his quest to eradicate mutants from the Earth.  To recruit assistance and validate his endeavor, he launches a 'crusade' to publicly proclaim the abomination and menace he believes mutants are and hold for humanity, respectively.  Little does the crowd know, though, that Stryker has captured Professor X and intends to use his mutant powers to destroy the rest of the X-men . . . will he succeed?

I was attracted to this book because of the title, which I believe neatly sums up reality.  I also enjoyed X-men 2 and so wanted to read the source material.  I wasn't disappointed; God Loves, Man Kills is a good book.  The story is compelling, though it bothered me that the Reverend so twisted Scripture (regrettably, that's not uncommon in the real world, too).  I enjoyed seeing the mutants (my personal favorite, Nightcrawler, features heavily here) and Magneto team up to counter Stryker's threat.  The book was very short, so it wasn't as epic as I had hoped, but it is a worthy read nonetheless.

Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment