Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Courtship of Princess Leia (Dave Wolverton)


I've been reading some mentally heavy, academic works recently . . . and I needed a break.  Something mindless.  The Courtship of Princess Leia fit the bill.  It's the story of how Leia married Han Solo, in essence.  But before she said "I do," Prince Isolder of the Hapes Consortium offered the riches of his worlds for her hand, and Han kidnapped Leia to prevent her from taking a look at the handsome man's offerings.  He took her to Dathomir, a planet he won in a sabacc game, which turns out to be populated by the Nightsisters- a band of force-wielding witches who enslave men and ride rancors.  Hilarity ensues . . . unintentionally.

As with other works since Disney purchased the brand, this book is no longer 'canon' in the Star Wars universe.  I thought I'd read it anyway to recapture the magic I felt 20 years ago, when I first perused its pages.  Turns out, my memory has dimmed and/or my tastes changed much since that time.  Parts were entertaining, but inexplicable plot points, horrible dialogue, and an overly ridiculous story ultimately led me to put this down halfway through.  I could see a young boy enjoying this . . . but maybe I should leave the past in the past, and not re-read the treasures of my teenage years.

Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment