Sunday, July 26, 2015

X-men: Days of Future Past (The Rogue Cut)


Last year, X-men: Days of Future Past was released (my review here).  It was a good film; so good, in fact, that they decided to release a new version of it to blu-ray.  The Rogue Cut, as they call it, adds 17 minutes to the film and introduces (shockingly) Rogue, a mutant who shows up in the original X-men trilogy.

As the plot remains the same (in essence), I won't re-review that here (look up my original link if you care).  I'll just say that the additional time, in this instance, is worth it- I didn't feel as though it was (solely) a studio money grab (as some "director's cuts" can be).  We get more context and backstory, which helps- it cleared up the small confusion I had watching the original version.  Oddly, this take's namesake wasn't necessary- but the other additions, in my opinion, were.  At 2.5 hours, the film feels slow at times . . . but in an age of action-focused, minimally-developed superhero movies, I enjoyed the change.  So, if you must choose a version, choose the Rogue Cut- but as before, it will behoove you to be familiar with the first 4 X-men movies (X-men 1,2,3 and First Class).

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment