Saturday, July 25, 2015

MLB Logos

No major American sports league is older than Major League Baseball (MLB).  Eight of its thirty current franchises were founded by 1883, and sixteen were in place by 1903- only some European soccer clubs can match in longevity.  Baseball is well-ingrained in the American culture; movies like Field of Dreams reflect what the sport means to many.  For years it was the American mainstay; the last thirty years has seen it lose the top spot to football (NFL) and it vies with basketball (NBA) for number two, but almost half of Americans still identify themselves as fans (sources here, here, here, and here).

Personally, baseball is the first sport I remember following.  My memories begin in the late '80s, when I cheered for the Baltimore Orioles (historically bad at the time) and Philadelphia Phillies (not much better).  In that pre-Internet age (remember that?), I eagerly awaited the daily paper for scores and statistics- if I hadn't caught them on ESPN's wonderful but maddening score ticker (they'd always cut to commercial before my teams came up).  I enjoyed hearing grandpa's stories about the league from his time (1920s-on).  He'd talk about following the games on radio, taking the train to see the Phillies (in Connie Mack Stadium at the time), and the joy the sport brought to a boy of his era.  While other sports can be more exciting to watch, baseball retains a place in my heart as that historic mainstay, and watching gives me- perhaps oddly- a sense of tranquility I don't experience in other events.  A day at the Yard (Oriole Park at Camden Yards) is always a good one.


As many did, I collected baseball cards.  Sternly warned by my elders to keep them, I heard frequent stories about fortunes lost when ignorant moms threw away their own childhood collections.  We all heeded their advice and kept our collections safe; they're worth nothing today as a result.  I've since unloaded most of mine, retaining only my significant Cal Ripken collection, a handful of Mike Schmidt cards (my other favorite player), and a smattering of others from the time.

Baseball uniforms (and caps) often feature a clean design (many saturated with heritage) that I find extremely appealing.  And that's why I'm posting today- this is another entry in my 'enjoy from afar' series, where I digitally reflect on things I like to keep from physically buying them.  In moments of weakness, a dozen MLB team caps tempt me and beckon purchase . . . but as that's foolish, I'll end by displaying teams (and logos) I enjoy instead.

1. Baltimore Orioles

The only team I've consistently liked through the years, the Orioles are my number one, though the rest of the league has agreed only three times (1966, 70, and 83).  My favorite logo is the original cartoon bird (1966-88), though the recent cartoon bird (2012-present) is far superior to their prior 'naturally correct' logos (1989-2011).  Check out their uniform/logo history here.



My favorite player was Cal Ripken.  Baseball's "Iron Man" played in over 2100 consecutive games- a feat unlikely to be equaled or surpassed.  The Ripken name played a big part in Oriole affairs, with Cal's dad as manager and brother as fellow infielder.


After the late '80s ineptitude, the O's got better in the mid-late '90s, with several quality teams.  I fondly remember their quality infield (Rafael Palmeiro, Roberto Alomar, Mike Bordick, Ripken), outfielders (BJ Surhoff and Brady Anderson were favorites), and a few good pitchers (Mike Mussina and Scott Erickson were faves).   After ~15 more years of hardship, O's fans have reason to celebrate the last few resurgent years, where the team is again competitive (and won the division last year).

2. Philadelphia Phillies

I really miss the 1989 Philles.  I don't know why; they were horrible.  But those maroon and pinstripe  (or powder blue) duds of the '70s and '80s rocked, and watching Mike Schmidt, Lenny Dykstra, John Kruk, Juan Samuel, Von Hayes, and Darren Daulton play are cherished memories.  For some reason, Steve Jeltz- who had a horrible career- also stands out, perhaps because I witnessed him hit a home run (which happened only 5 times in his career).


In recent days, I've been a fair weather Phillies fan.  I was glad they won the 2008 World Series, and as a pitching lover, I couldn't help but root for their rotation of Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels in the '10s.  They're currently horrible, though, and I really don't care- which shows my colors.  Maybe I'll change my mind if they bring back the maroon and powder blue.


3. Other iconic teams (to me)

With MLB steeped in history, it's hard to single out teams- so many have rich heritages.  I'll do it anyway, though, because I, for whatever reason, love some and despise others.  I admit, some of the fondness (or vitriol) is based on their logos, uniforms, or color schemes.  Yes, I'm petty.  Some feelings are more justified, though- I tend to root for the underdogs and oppose the heavy spenders in the only major sport without a salary cap.

Atlanta Braves
I loved the Braves pitching in the '90s.  Greg Maddux is one of my all-time favorite hurlers; Tom Glavine and John Smoltz are now with him in Cooperstown.


Chicago Cubs
Infamous for their ineptitude (no championships since 1908), the Cubs have an iconic look I can't help but enjoy.  Two former Orioles- Jake Arrieta and Jason Hammel- make cheering for them easy.


Boston Red Sox
Normally big spenders, I had no love for the Red Sox until they came back from 3 games down in the 2004 playoffs to beat the Yankees (my most hated team).  I couldn't help but root for them to get the title that year (which they did- their first since 1918).  They've since won two more.


St. Louis Cardinals
I love their jerseys, hats, and color scheme.  I don't mind when they win it all, which they've done twice recently.

Kansas City Royals
A recent favorite, I feel obliged to cheer for this small-market, long-suffering club.  They look postured to win big this year.  Former Orioles pitcher Jeremy Guthrie may help them get there.


Houston Astros
I don't know one player on their roster, but I'm really digging their new uniforms, and they're winning in spite of a small market.  Love it!



Oakland A's
Something about that dark green and bright yellow color scheme really appeals to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment