Monday, October 5, 2015

Memento Mori


"Remember [your eventual, inevitable] death" is the post title and subject today.  I felt it appropriate for October, the month we conclude with a focus on (or celebration of) the macabre.

After abbeys (here) and castles (some here), graveyards were my favorite sites to visit in Europe (the UK in particular).  Like abbeys, I generally felt a sense of peace strolling among the tombs.  Sadness was also present, and I cringed often, especially when noting those passings outside the 'natural order'- children lost, soldiers departed, and entire families wiped out by plague.  But overall, there was peace, for these stark reminders of mortality help me focus on that which will not fade.  Truly, most of my cares are pitiful when viewed in light of the eternal.

Though death comes to us all, we have different ways of preparing for it.  Some choose to ignore, and deliberately put it out of mind until their own passing to unknown shores.  Others fear or obsess, and focus overly on what comes next at the expense of the present.  I'm in the latter camp, though I should strive to behave as General Stonewall Jackson, who, when asked why he was so calm in battle, replied
. . . my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed.  God has fixed the time for my death.  I do not concern myself about that,but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me.  That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.
to be always ready . . . yes.  May I live in this way.  We never know when our end will be- a good friend passed recently of natural causes, at age 36.  So may we live in such a way that the end is accompanied not by shock or fear, but peace and the hope of glory, clinging to the promises of God.

Below are some of my favorite photos of graveyards from Europe.  Most are from the UK.  They are loosely, but not necessarily logically, categorized.  Most photos are unedited; those that are have been cropped or converted to black and white only.  They're not superb, but I hope they remind me- and you- to "memento mori."


Scotland
The Scottish terrain and weather provide a suitably somber backdrop to resting places.  Below are a smattering of shots from Edinburgh, the Highlands, the border abbeys, the Isles of Mull and Skye, and Rob Roy's graveyard.













Jewish Cemeteries
Jewish tombs have something especially haunting about them.  Those pictured here are in Krakow (Poland) and Prague (Czech Republic), respectively.









The Bronte Parsonage
The Bronte family (of literary fame) lived next to a large graveyard, and drew well water affected by the same.  Their lives were, in some cases, tragically short as a result.






Whitby
The most famous cemetery in Whitby is situated in spectacular fashion, between cliffs (overlooking the sea) and the ruins of Whitby Abbey.  It's easy to see why it inspired Bram Stoker as he penned Dracula.






Eyam
A village infected by plague (its story is reviewed here), Eyam is worth a visit for island residents.



Abbeys
Graveyards next to abbeys are not uncommon, and the ruins give them a haunting backdrop.  Shown below are Bolton, Lindisfarne Priory (on Holy Island), and Easby.








Churches
I'll conclude with some English Churches and their accompanying graveyards.  Most of these were taken in the north . . . though I see one interior shot taken in Bruges, Belgium.  As I said, this is only loosely organized.















No comments:

Post a Comment