Saturday, September 30, 2017

Henry Gastineau



I blog about art far too little.  A fond memory from my time in England was the scenic countryside, dotted with evocative ruins.  Those scenes are captured beautifully in nineteenth-century artwork, be it paintings by people like JMW Turner or engravings by today's subject, Henry Gastineau.

I know nothing about Gastineau save that I love his work, and his scene of Raglan Castle (in south Wales) hung in my home for several years before it fell victim to one of my minimalist kicks.  A google image search (and another) gives you an idea of his capability and the beauty of his images.  A scanned book on Wales gives you more of the same.  And regardless of artist, who doesn't love Raglan Castle?  A nice selection of images here makes me want to hop on a plane . . .

The style of these nineteenth century engravings captivate me like no other portrayal of these magnificent structures.  Perhaps it's because so many ruins today have been 'restored' and cleaned up, denying them (to a degree) the overgrown and ancient quality reflected in these pictures.  Whatever it is, I enjoy them, and I hope you do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment