Sunday, July 1, 2018

Midterm Report

image from here
Wow, we're halfway through 2018 already.  Each year, I set and present my goals for the year in January.  Today I look at how I'm doing.

Use it or lose it
The year's focus is books and movies.  Hmmm. . . not much progress.  I do get rid of things, but buy (or am gifted) more.  I haven't done much here in my quest to use everything I own.

Grade: B-

Board Games
A 2018 goal is designing a board game.  Decent progress here; I've read several books on game design, kept a journal since January to jot down ideas as they come to me, and have started "Game Design Journal" posts.  I want to play a handful more games- ones that appear to have ideas I'd like to incorporate into mine- before I start extensive design work.

Grade: A-

Personal Spending & Budgeting
Status quo here.  My personal spending is within my budget, but I haven't been pacing myself well (I've spent most of it already).  On budgeting, we have yet to develop an effective tracking/budgeting system.  We've done better in some areas, but not in a systematic way.

Grade: C

Fitness
Workouts have been a mixed bag.  I've run very little, focusing my limited workout time at the gym.  Those sessions are going reasonably well- I've been building the back more (which has helped the minor left shoulder irritation that's plagued me for years), seen noticeable gains in strength (especially with the biceps, triceps, and trapezius).  But there are some downsides- less cardio means I feel fatter, and haven't lost any weight.  I've been convicted just this weekend of doing more core and upper-body flexibility exercises.  That, plus cardio, needs to be a focus for the rest of the year.

Grade: B

Nutrition
Need to improve here.  Made some minor gains (in lessening sweet intake).  But too much snack or fast food.  Goal: more fruit/veg, and dropping 15 lbs or bust!

Grade: C-

Reading
This has gone well; I'm on track to exceed my goal for the year, and am really enjoying the selections.

Grade: A

Spiritual
On my business trip, I do a good job with daily routine of prayer and scripture.  Other times, it's sporadic- generally get to it each day, but the time isn't quality.  Need more quality/consistency.

Grade: B-

Screen Time
My "no small screens" goal started really well through four months, but tailed off as I approached summer.  Need to get back to where I should be- it makes life so much better.

Grade: A-

Movies
I've made no progress in the goal to watch two 'classic' movies per month, but this is a goal I wouldn't mind failing.

Grade: D

Slow Down & Focus
Minimizing screen time has helped slow down and focus a bit more.  Need to continue in this vein- minimization in general seems to help.

Grade: B-

Parenting
Making some strides in being more kind towards the family.  But a long way remains.

Grade: B-

Overall
Nice to see results in some areas, but there's a long road ahead.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment