Sunday, February 17, 2019

Christmas Markets

I'm behind in travel posting, but with computer and Internet access finally back, I hope to make up for that in the coming days.

We arrived in Germany just in time for Christmas markets- that marvelous concept of myriad stalls set up in a town's central area, where vendors from all over Europe come and hawk their baubles.  The best part is the atmosphere- I seldom buy anything [non-edible], but it's delightful to peruse the assorted miscellany while munching on the season's finest fare.  It's a treat for the eyes- an explosion of color and beauty.  I'm transported back in time- both to my childhood and my impression of the 'days of yore'- as I gaze upon the wares.  With all the technology and 'modernity' of society, Christmas markets seem a throwback to a simpler time, where one could peruse finely-crafted items without being bombarded by technology and screens.  The below pictures, taken at the Wiesbaden market in December 2018, don't do it justice . . . but some do make me salivate.

If you're able to experience one of these, here are some tips:
- brace for crowds, especially on weekend evenings.  Get there early if you'd rather avoid them.
- each market has its own unique attributes- check out several if you can.
- markets are open from late November through a day or two before Christmas- each one has mildly different 'run times,' so check the schedule ahead of time.
- many markets have their own special mug.  When you buy a hot drink (hot chocolate . . .mmmm), you'll get one- you can keep it or return it for the pfand (deposit).

For food,
- get a crepe, with nutella [naturally] or cinnamon and sugar.
- the marshmallows covered in chocolate (many flavors available) are okay but not as good as they look.
- gluhwein (a hot, mulled wine) tastes like cough syrup . . . don't say I didn't warn you.
- savory options abound, to include various wursts and pommes (french fries). 

I'll edit this post as time allows and memory spurs items I missed above. But these markets are a delightful way to await the celebration of Christmas.








No comments:

Post a Comment