Wednesday, February 20, 2019

One Thousand and Counting

image from here
This is it!  Blog post number 1000.  When I started (almost exactly seven years ago, on 27 Feb 2012), I had no idea I'd still be at it now, despite low readership, poor reviews, and questionable substance.  But here are some reflections back on how it all began, and the changes it's seen.

It started with books.  I wanted a way to remember the books I was reading as part of my British Reading List experience.  We had moved to England the summer before, and the weather plus family situation led to lots of time indoors.  Knowing this, I decided to read voraciously (50-80 books/year), and created a list to focus on titles relevant to life in England.  I read history, literature, and immersed myself in King Arthur and Robin Hood lore.  It was a wonderful experience; see here for the 40 books (out of 129) that I recommend from that endeavor.  After that experience, I continued reading at a good clip, capturing my annual 'best of' in addition to individual reviews.

The blog soon expanded to travel recaps.  Initial mentions (only 9 posts in 2012-13) soon expanded as I realized the value in documenting such memories.  Our later British trips were captured soon after their conclusion (from 2014-on), and other trips (from our Germany time) were recapped at a country level in 2014-15.  Looking back and trying to recall trips of 3-7 years prior was harder than expected- we forgot so much, and in some cases, I didn't even recall what country we were in when a given photo was taken (such is life in the small countries between France and Germany).  So I now try to document things shortly after they occur; the memories are so precious, and blogging is a convenient mechanism.

Movies are amazing, and shortly after our return to America in 2014, I started reviewing them as well, with a focus on superheroes and epics like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.  Again, the intent was to remember.

Board games came next.  I've enjoyed collectible games for decades, and mentioned them occasionally here; in 2016, I started more consistently playing (and formally analyzing) tabletop games of all kinds.  I've now reviewed over 100 games across 'standard,' collectible, and children's offerings.  Physical games like this are an excellent hobby for many reasons; check them out with your loved ones.  I hope to design a game someday, and started to that effect last year.  Though that's on the back burner, it's still on the mind.

Interspersed throughout the years, you'll see reflections posts as I deal with anything on my mind, from favorite sports teams (Eagles!!) to personal struggles like materialism.  Blogging helps me remember where I've been, who I am, and where I'm going.  I hope it helps you, too.

Over time, the blog has changed in appearance and presentation, too.  I discovered the concept of pages vs. posts, using the former to better organize and consolidate information.  And the tags have changed as well . . . at great pains to do so.  I even changed URLs, moving from "overlordmusings" to "notesfromthefallen," a title I felt better reflected the intent.

Most posts are done quickly, but there are a few that take considerable time and energy; some of these I truly value, and include:
- Humor posts.  Is it wrong to be amused by your own writing?  I don't do these often, in part because of the time required.  Being heavily influenced by Dave Barry in my youth, I can't help but dabble in this area.  Favorites include A History of Britain, Daddy-Daughter Dance, A Purchasing Guide for New Parents, and Whisk(e)y Tasting.
- Poetry.  Yes, poetry.  It's rare, but I do it.  I'm most proud of My Take on the Raven, though A Thought for the Troubled and For Moms Everywhere may hold value for some.
- Overview pages.  My main games page gets constant updates and is one of the few that's required me to edit HTML code directly.  The other pages- accessible from the top of the blog- provide myriad links to related posts.
- Select topical treatments.  Though a shorter post, I discuss and reflect upon my favorite British attraction- ruined abbeys.  Others, like posts on the Canon of Scripture or the Reformation, involved quite a bit of work.

Seven years in, here's how the posts break down by focus:
Books (52%)
Movies (15%)
Games (15%)
Reflections (11%)
Travels (5%)

Ultimately, here is why I write.  It's certainly not for readership (51,000 views in 7 years is laughable in the Internet age).  A lot has changed in seven years . . . what will the future hold?

No comments:

Post a Comment