Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Next Chapter

Tomorrow's the day. After 72 days in a hotel, we're moving into a home. And I'm hit, unexpectedly, with sadness.

Our new home is great, so it's not apprehension on that front. I think it's more about familiarity and memory.

We all tend to dislike, fear, and avoid change, even when it's to our benefit. I don't overly enjoy hotel life (though having housekeeping is lovely), but it's familiar- all we've known for 20% of a year!

The other element is memory. In 72 days, we've
-said farewell to loved ones,
-celebrated Christmas and New Year's,
-celebrated my daughter's birthday,
-witnessed my son's first (and second, and third) lost tooth,
-toured three castles and seen dozens more from afar,
-driven the Rhein river,
-been reunited with old friends,
-played in our first Magic: the Gathering draft,
-introduced our kids the joys of life in Europe,
And so much more. A lot has happened in our first two months, and those memories are anchored to the only home we've known here- the hotel.

The next chapter awaits, and I pray that it is good. I trust it will be- not what we expect, perhaps, but the Lord knows what He is doing, and we can rest in His goodness. In a hotel, home, or anywhere the journey takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment