Sunday, December 29, 2019

2019 Christmas Markets

The Christmas market season is over, but we made good use of the time.  We visited six Christmas markets in Germany, summarized below.

Wiesbaden
Our local market, Wiesbaden is a good size and good time.




Mainz
We don't get to Mainz often, but enjoy it when we do.



Frankfurt
This was my first visit to Frankfurt's market.  It took up a good deal of space and sprawled outwards from the 'altstadt' area.  Quite nice- but the gigantic pretzel disappointed (it was a bread/cake concoction and not the typical German article).




Rudesheim
A small market but favored by our friends, Rudesheim's market stretches around the town.







Nuremberg
This is the oldest market in Germany and quite large.  That said, I wasn't as enamored with it as I thought I would be.  Maybe I was getting 'marketed out' by this point.









Rothenburg
The market here was somewhat disappointing, but it didn't matter, because Rothenburg is a beautiful day out regardless.





Concluding Thoughts
I have a few observations about markets at this point:
- They all have minor differences, but start to look the same. 
- That said, if you see something you like, buy it immediately- there's no guarantee you'll see it elsewhere.
- I love the nuts they sell (almonds, and sometimes pecans, covered in cinnamon, vanilla, or a variety of other things).
- I also enjoy the mushrooms.
- Gluhwein still tastes like cough syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment