Monday, August 24, 2020

Missing the Movies

This pandemic has shown me what I value through what I miss. My top four:
- visits from friends & family
- fellowship (gatherings with friends from work or church for meals, games, encouragement, etc.)
- travel
- movies

I surprised myself- sports didn't make the list. (I might feel differently come football season.) I just haven't cared that professional sports shut down, and haven't tuned in now that they've resumed. I was mildly disappointed that my Flames (NHL) did poorly in the playoffs and Spurs (NBA) didn't make them at all, but not really. Interesting.

Anyway, this post is about movies. I love catching the superhero movies (as this page can attest), and they were generally the only things that got me to the theater.  I haven't thought much on films recently, but this weekend's "DC FanDome" virtual convention highlighted several upcoming releases that piqued my interest and made me look forward to a time when this mess is over and we can watch movies in safety. Here are teasers or trailers for the four films most on my mind:

The Batman:
I've loved the Dark Knight movies, and enjoy the darker tone DC has taken towards this specific superhero. The trailer looks great.  Excitement level: 9/10



The Suicide Squad:
2016's Suicide Squad wasn't great, but there are higher hopes for this one due to director James Gunn, of Guardians of the Galaxy fame. Excitement level: 6/10



Wonder Woman 1984:
I enjoyed the first Wonder Woman film, and this looks promising as well. Excitement level: 8/10



The Justice League (the Snyder Cut):
The theatrical release of Justice League disappointed many, myself included (though I had low expectations). The film was a mess, in part because of a director change midway due to family tragedy. The first director, Zack Snyder, was outspoken that the finished product did not come close to meeting his original vision. And Justice League is one of those films, like The Avengers, that should have been epic and amazing. Since it wasn't, and the fan outcry was also great, they're going back and re-doing parts to make it into what Snyder originally intended. Fascinating. This one is due out not in theaters, but HBOMax, sometime next year.  Excitement level: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment