Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Pandemic Hobbies

I don't know about you, but we're hitting pandemic fatigue in our home. March, when Germany started lockdown, feels like ten years ago.  Though we've emerged from those initial restrictions, and cases are low in our area, the pandemic is still very much among us. Social distancing, mandatory masks, new procedures in public, canceled trips, potential quarantines, and more will affect us for a long time to come.  Ugh.

Though it is certainly difficult, I've formed four new habits in this time:

1) Drinking
Okay, this is a joke . . . sort of. I've never been much for alcohol, but during our friends' visit last December, I discovered (through responsible sampling) that I disliked Hefeweizens (unfiltered wheat beers) and Kellerbiers (unpasteurized lagers) least of all beers.  When the pandemic hit, I grabbed a few of each to try. I wouldn't say I yearn for them, but as our primary drink is tap water, beer is often the only cold drink in the house, and quite refreshing after a long bike ride or hot summer's day. Maisel's Weisse is my favorite Hefeweizen.

2) Coffee
I don't like coffee, but had taken to the occasional cappuccino when traveling (they complement breakfast croissants well). We have a Tassimo machine that went largely unused unless we were hosting visitors. But when COVID-19 hit, I noticed cappuccino pods in our local grocery store . . . and now, not a day goes by when I don't enjoy one for breakfast. I've tried other types of coffee, but have yet to find one that I like outside of the cappuccino.  I've also learned why it's important to descale the machine occasionally.


3) Bicycling
This is the big one. I've previously posted on this; when gyms closed and my achilles forced me to stop running, I got into biking big-time.  I bought a new bike in June, and have continued enjoying the myriad trails in this region with "Shadowfax." As of this writing, I'm 36 miles shy of 1,000 on the year.  Shadowfax, show us the meaning of haste!!  My longest ride to date was a 45-mile trek to Rudesheim and back, to enjoy a bakery treat in the vineyards overlooking castles (see some pics below). Speaking of bakeries . . .




4) Bakeries
I'd be 5-10lbs lighter if it weren't for German bakeries. I had enjoyed the occasional baked good before the pandemic; now, it's a necessary stop during any bike ride longer than an hour.  My favorite treats include schoko karlschen (from Backhaus Schröer), fruit-filled 'plunders' or streusels (Bäcker Dries has the best), and the quarktasche (from Aldi of all places).



In summary, the good habit (bicycling) has been largely negated by drinking and pastries.  I think I need to do some reflecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment