Saturday, July 10, 2021

America: the First Week

We've been back in America for a week; our time in Europe is over. I find it helpful to reflect upon our experience in transition. I did this last time back in 2014. Here are my observations this time around:
  • Change is always hard. We anticipate a faster acclimation this time around, as we were away for only 2.5 years (vs. 7 last time). We hope to attend our old church, live in or near our old neighborhood, and reunite with our old friends. But even if all these things happen- even if we're immediately immersed in the familiar- there's no escaping the difficulty of change. I spent the first week experiencing bouts of sadness, mourning the loss of familiar and beloved routines and friends, even though we're excited to be back. 
  • People need a place to call home. Right now, we feel like we don't belong anywhere. Our time in Germany is done; we don't belong there anymore. But we don't feel like we belong here in America, yet, either. I think it's all about having a home. 
  • Communication and mobility are key. Arriving without US phones or a vehicle makes change that much harder. Getting those things squared away secure a degree of freedom that's so important.
  • Getting into new routines is also important. Especially working out. 
  • It's funny to see what I've forgotten about American culture. Like adding tax at the register (vs. working it into the displayed price)- the oddest things catch me off-guard.
  • It's nice to be surrounded by English-speakers again. I loved studying German, but ordering food or having doctor visits without the potentially awkward/confusing interactions is most welcome.
  • The kids adjust faster than the adults.
  • I'll miss Germany. More so this time than last.
  • I'm happy to be back. Now we just need to find a house.

No comments:

Post a Comment