Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Ghost Towns (Various)

 

Ghost Towns is a short story compilation from various writers of Western fiction (some of them famous, like Louis L'Amour). The focus, of course, is on stories based on or involving ghost towns- those towns that sprung up seemingly overnight (and could fall to ruin just as quickly) in the late nineteenth century due to railroads and gold mines in the American West. Here, you'll find tales of ghosts, murders, tragedies, and other sordid affairs.

The book was okay. As you'd expect with multiple authors, I liked some stories and writing styles more than others (though all were solidly written). And I was intrigued to learn that real ghost towns still exist and can be visited today. I picked this up for $2 on a clearance rack, and it whet my appetite for the genre, if nothing else (I expect to include a Western or two on my forthcoming American Reading List).

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment