Wednesday, July 20, 2022

The Encyclopedia of the Dead (Danilo Kiš)

The Encyclopedia of the Dead is a collection of nine short stories by acclaimed Yugoslavian author Danilo Kiš. I got through six before I gave up.

I don't deny that Kiš is a talented author, and the titular tale has some value (in appreciating the common life), but I otherwise disliked both his messages (where I could understand them) and delivery. His is a "show, don't state" style, which is admirable and requires considerable talent- but most tales left me completely lost as to the overall point. He can run on in stream-of-consciousness, which has never grabbed me. Commentaries gave me some insight (and a small degree of appreciation) to some tales, but even with outside elucidation, I wasn't overly impressed- and some appeared to require knowledge of other literary works long out of popular view. Growing up in the shadow of WWII (he's half-Jewish and lost his father to the Nazis) and then under communism, I can perhaps understand how he developed a cynical view toward religion and life- but it is heartbreaking. Maybe there is amazing content here that is just too far above me . . . or maybe he was as lost as he appears.

Rating: C-

No comments:

Post a Comment