Friday, October 14, 2022

The Rings of Power: Season 1

It is the Second Age of Middle Earth. Galadriel believes Sauron, long-missing servant of Morgoth, has returned and intends to invade. As she tirelessly tracks this perceived threat, she meets Halbrand, the rightful (but fleeing) king of the Southlands, and their journeys take them to Numenor, a powerful island kingdom who was once strongly allied with the Elves. Convinced that Sauron will strike soon, she works to enlist both parties in her quest. 

Elsewhere, a mysterious stranger has fallen from the stars. The Harfoots- precursors to Hobbits- find and take him in. They know nothing about this strange being, other than he has tremendous power but seems unable to communicate. Will his presence spell fortune or disaster for this nomadic people?

The power of the Elves is failing. When Elrond discovers through his friend, Durin, that the Dwarves have discovered mithriel, he believes their salvation may be at hand. But will Durin's father, the King, agree to trade with his traditional foes? And what will the Elves do if he doesn't?
--------
Oh. My. Goodness. Three episodes into this eight-show arc, I blogged about my initial thoughts. My enjoyment only increased, and I must amend some criticisms (but keep them secret to avoid spoilers). Overall, I was extremely impressed. It started slowly, but really picked up steam, and the season finale was overwhelming. In addition to what I mentioned previously, I like that it:
- maintained the spirit of the Tolkien books and Peter Jackson films
- had stunning visual effects
- featured eloquent dialogue and smatterings of wisdom
- focused on the core story of good and evil and how we grapple with perilous times
- was wonderfully devoide of sex scenes (even innuendo) and trendy pop culture topics

Season one far exceeded my expectations. I cannot wait for the next.

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment