Thursday, December 29, 2022

Thus Concludes 2022

Another reading year "in the books." This post recaps the year and presents what I consider the best of the bunch.

I read 52 books this year, totaling 18,272 pages- about 50 pages a day. My average rating was 91/100.

Of the 52 books, 0 were audiobooks, 0 were eBooks, and 0 were borrowed from the library or friends. By genre, I read 22 fantasy books (a stated focus for the year), 15 on religion (some with a political bent), 3 graphic novels, 3 literature, 3 history, and a smattering of others.

My fantasy focus was fun but fraught with frustration, finally finishing* The Wheel of Time series after being tempted to quit. I love fantasy, but I found making any genre a reading focus is harder for me than (say) doing country-based reading lists. I need to oscillate between categories or I get burned out. I had intended to finish my 'owned but unread' fantasy books this year, but I burned out on the genre so I'll look to close those out in 2023.

Here are my top ten reads from this year:

**James K.A. Smith: How to Inhabit Time
Brandon Sanderson: the Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians series (especially The Knights of Crystallia)
Robert Jordan: A Memory of Light
Velma Wallis: Two Old Women
**Giboney et al.: Compassion & Conviction
Jay Stringer: Unwanted
**Paul Miller: The J-Curve
Richard Bauckham: Jesus and the Eyewitnesses
**Adler & Van Doren: How to Read a Book

The five with two asterisks I found particularly helpful and recommend them for those interested in spiritual growth and self-awareness/improvement.

On the whole, this was a good reading year. May 2023 bring further works of excellence. Happy reading!

*amusingly alliterative, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment