Friday, January 22, 2016

Die Hard


When a group of terrorists, led by Hans Gruber, take over his wife's company Christmas party, off-duty cop John McClane takes matters into his own hands.  Hopelessly outnumbered and trapped in a skyscraper, he does what he can on the inside while the LAPD and FBI plan their strategy outside.  But their methods may not work against this seasoned criminal crew . . . can McClane save the day?

A 1988 action classic, Die Hard is a movie I'd never seen but should have, so my colleagues decided to remedy the situation and lend it to me.  I was worried that, being released almost 30 years ago, it would be cheesy and hopelessly dated; I was pleasantly surprised.  Yes, the effects don't compare to those of today, and there was some cheese.  But on the whole, it has aged well, and I was entertained.  A few memorable lines pepper the dialogue, the action was surprisingly good for the time, and the primary protagonist (John McClane/Bruce Willis) and antagonist (Hans Gruber/Alan Rickman) were good.  Overall, a solid flick.

Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment