Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Thus Concludes 2017


Another enjoyable reading year "in the books." This post recaps the year and presents what I consider the best of the bunch.

According to my spreadsheet, I completed 54 books this year, but read a percentage (10%-50%) of 6 more works.  So let's make it 60 books read, and those totaled 15,792 pages- about 43 pages a day. That takes less than an hour- it's not nearly as imposing as some think, especially when ~1,500 of those pages were listened to on my commute into work.

Of the 60 books, 3 were audiobooks, 3 were eBooks, and 22 came from the library or friends. I rated 31 a solid 'A' or higher, and 6 a 'C' or lower. By category, I read 10 history books, 7 religion, 5 fantasy/mythology, 3 literature, 3 Arthurian, 19 graphic novels, and a smattering of other genres.

Here are my top ten reads from this year:

Christopher Morgan: Fallen: A Theology of Sin
Alister McGrath: Christianity's Dangerous Idea
Stephen Ambrose: Undaunted Courage
J.R.R. Tolkien: The Hobbit
Various: Batman: Year One
Various: The Long Halloween
Stephen King: Carrie
Charles Dickens: David Copperfield
Alexandre Dumas: The Three Musketeers
Bruce Metzger: The Canon of the New Testament

And three honorable mentions:

Susan Wise Bauer: The History of the Ancient World
Tristan Donovan: It's All a Game

Happy reading in 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment