Sunday, June 2, 2019

A Different Perspective

I had a nice experience yesterday.  In a game store, I saw a Magic: the Gathering poster I liked (below).  It was a promotional poster, and unavailable for purchase (even eBay lacked it).  I asked the sole employee if they rotate the posters, and if so, would they sell it to me when it came down.  His response was unexpected.

I think- I hope-  this employee was the owner.  Because he offered the poster to me, asking my price.  Knowing promotional items can be costly, I offered 20€, which I thought on the low end of fair.  "That's too much," he replied, "it has holes in the corners." (Tacks held it in place.)  "Okay," I said, "how about 10?  Is that okay?" He answered, almost apologetically: "Is that okay with you?"  We agreed.  He found it difficult to get off the wall- he needed to get a tool- and once he got it down, he dusted it for me before turning it over.  I walked out with what I considered a steal, reflecting on an attitude I've seen before on the continent.

I've observed similar mindsets in other Europeans- they're less profit-driven than Americans.  Make no mistake; with the fourth-largest economy in the world and largest in Europe, the Germans understand capitalism and certainly care about profits.  But profits aren't the only thing; people here appear concerned with elements other than money: the environment, being fair, having a work/life balance, and taking care of others.  Stereotypes can be dangerous- not all Americans are greedy, nor are all Germans selfless- but the general atmosphere in Europe is that community matters.  Looking at the 'rugged individualism' aspect of American culture through this contrasting lens, the difference looks stark indeed.

I love both America and Europe, so don't interpret this post as bashing the former.  No one culture is perfect; I could discuss at length the flaws I see in Germany and other European nations.  But living in two cultures is quite helpful to see the benefits and drawbacks of cultural mindsets.  Ideally, in my own family, we'll take what's best about both and merge them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment