Tuesday, March 10, 2020

The Top Ten: Books (Fantasy)

I dislike science fiction but love the fantasy genre (this book helped me understand why).  At its best, fantasy acknowledges and incorporates the supernatural into its tales and teaches wisdom through story.
Minas Tirith from The Lord of the Rings (image from here)
I have high hopes to plow through several noteworthy (and lengthy) fantasy series someday, but the below selections I've already enjoyed are worthy of your time.

1. The Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)

This trilogy set the standard for the genre.  Impossible to omit from any 'top fantasy' list.

2. The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)

The book whose popularity encouraged Tolkien to write The Lord of the Rings.  More suitable for children than its successor.

3. The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis)

The seven-book series with overt Christian symbolism, these stories are filled with both adventure and wisdom.

4. The Warlord Trilogy (Bernard Cornwell)

Perhaps the only 'historical fantasy' I've ever read, Cornwell's take on the Arthurian legend is a must-read.

5. The Harry Potter Series (J.K. Rowling)

These seven books made many kids (and adults) learn to love reading.

6. The Once and Future King (T.H. White)

Another book on Arthur; this one is at times whimsical and always outstanding.

7. The Eye of the World (Robert Jordan)

I'm currently on book four of the 14-book Wheel of Time saga; book one sets a high bar for what followed.

8. The King Arthur trilogy (Rosemary Sutcliff)

This classic telling of the Arthurian saga- suitable for children- is a delight for adults as well.

9. Ivanhoe (Sir Walter Scott)

I have a page dedicated to Robin Hood . . . I should have at least one Robin book in my top ten.  I've never read a top-notch telling of the legend, though I've enjoyed several good ones (Robin McKinley's Outlaws of Sherwood and Henry Gilbert's Robin Hood come to mind).  But for my vote, I'm going with Ivanhoe.  This tale features Robin more on the sidelines, and may not be considered fantasy (rather, historical fiction), but I'm going with it; it's a fun read.

10. The Arthur Trilogy (Kevin Crossley-Holland)

Detecting a theme in my list?  Yes, I like King Arthur stories.  Crossley-Holland's trilogy (The Seeing Stone, At the Crossing Places, and King of the Middle March) follow two Arthurs: one living in ~1200, and the other "famous" one living seven centuries earlier, whose exploits are visible to the former through a seeing stone.  Very well done young adult fare.

----------------------
Read a fantasy book- or seven- this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment