Sunday, March 8, 2020

The Top Ten: Books (Literature)

What's the difference between fiction and literature?  I googled (here and here) and asked around . . . the consensus appears to be that:
fiction = easy/shallow entertainment
literature = symbolic, deep, possibly strange, probably old
scene from David Copperfield (image from here)
With that in mind, I present my favorite literary works below.

1. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)

It clocks in at 1000+ pages, but it's worth it.

2. David Copperfield (Charles Dickens)

This is Dickens' own favorite work; read it and see why.

3. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)

I read this in my pre-blog days, so no review on here.  It's my first and favorite Dostoevsky novel.  Contains deep (and disturbing) thoughts.

4. The Screwtape Letters (C.S. Lewis)

Does this count as literature?  It should.

5. A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)

Another Dickens work . . . love the eloquence and message.

6. The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare (G.K. Chesterton)

I've read this multiple times.  Made me fall in love with Chesterton's works.

7. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Robert Louis Stevenson) 

Interesting thoughts on the human condition.

8. Dracula (Bram Stoker)

*Love* this one.  Read it every few years.  Quick, gripping read.

9. Animal Farm (George Orwell)

Communism- bah.

10. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Brontë) 

Back when I was focused on my "British Reading List," I forced myself to read a few 'girlie' books.  I really liked this one.  (My overall recommended works from that reading list are here).

------
There you have it, folks.  Literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment