Monday, September 7, 2020

Schloss Auerbach

 Labor Day! Time for another castle. Today's offering: Schloss Auerbach, on the Hessische Bergstrasse (the Hessian mountain road), a north-south 50km route with scenic castles and towns that parallels a small mountain ridge and the Rhein.

I knew when I pulled up I was going to like this place. After the main entrance, you can explore the first area (courtyard? I'm not sure what to call it). It has a restaurant (and hotel, I think), but we're trying to be as responsible as we can in this pandemic, so we avoided those and focused on the castle ruin.






Time to enter the castle. The inner courtyard was small but cool.





Time to climb a few stairs up to the top walls. What a view! And I loved that tree in the middle of the walkway.







After enjoying the structure, we had a picnic lunch (outside the grounds, by rule) and then strolled around the outside. There were many paths in the area; the one circling the castle wasn't great, but good for the kids.




Auerbach was a nice (and, again- free!) day out. If you're into ruins. And castles. And views.

No comments:

Post a Comment