Sunday, August 3, 2014

Artemis Fowl (Eoin Colfer)


Artemis Fowl is the story of a mega-smart boy (the title character) who kidnaps a fairy (Holly Short) and holds her for ransom in an attempt to restore his family's lost fortune.  A motley crew from the fairy kingdom (fairies, trolls, dwarves, centaurs, etc.) work together to get her back and avoid paying Artemis' steep demands.

While the story itself isn't overly original, the world of the novel and delivery are excellent.  The former is a combination of legend, modern technological society, and off-beat humor and whackiness (example: Holly is a member of the Lower Earth Police Recon unit, or LEPrecon . . . which humans throughout time have misunderstood and turned into our 'leprechaun').  The latter is superb- Colfer is an excellent writer.  Though intended for young adults, I really enjoyed this one.  I understand there are 7 more in the series.  I don't know if I'll read them . . . but I hope my kids do.

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment