Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Transition & The Rose-Colored Past



We tend to look at the past through 'rose-colored glasses,' as the saying goes- we remember things as better then they actually were.  I'm experiencing a heavy dose of that now, as my transitory state (now, over 100 days long) comes (hopefully) to a close soon.    Every time I go through a transition- which generally means a physical move and/or job change- the same cycle occurs.  It tends to start with this emotional pattern:

1) Excitement- due to the new environment, responsibilities, people, locales, and possibilities. 
2) Anxiety- due to the same.
3) Exhaustion- due to all the administrative, academic, social, and logistical responsibilities that come with a change.
4) Sadness- due to the loss of the familiar, and the initial loneliness that occurs with a new start.

Our most recent transition has been the move back home.  We came back to America over 3 months ago.  After a decent dose of 1), I've been hovering between 2), 3), and 4) for a while now.  I pass a British book in the library and feel a pang.  I see a photo of a beloved foreign spot and grow wistful.  In short, I long for what once was, and lament its passing.  I have nothing but fond memories of my time overseas . . . but was it reality?  Are these cheerful images that race through my mind the complete story?

Thinking back through my life, I have to take a long view, and realize that my current station is not new.  In 2007, we were quite happy in Maryland.  We had a familiar, enjoyable routine, with good jobs, friends, and contentment.  Then, we uprooted ourselves and moved to Germany.  How exciting!  But I still remember driving away from our USA home with a heavy heart.  We were leaving all that we knew.  Once in Germany, it took a few months to fully settle in.  Those initial times were hard- learning a new language and culture, making new friends, establishing a new routine.  Then, once we adjusted, we had an absolute blast for 4 years.

In 2011, we had the same pattern.  Those first few months in England were rough!  We kept comparing it to Germany and found it wanting.  It took us a while to learn a new culture, make new friends, and establish a new routine.  Then, once we adjusted, we had an absolute blast for 3 years.

It's now 2014, and here we go again.  These first few months in America have been rough!  It's taking us a while to re-adjust to a 'new' culture, make new friends, and establish a new routine.  It's taking longer this time around, as we added a new home to the mix, but it will end the same.  We'll learn, become familiar, establish a routine, and have a blast.  We will get there.  We're just not there yet. 

Transition is hard.  It always is.  But then, it's always worth it, too.  I've never regretted a move, and each time, we've profited by it in many ways.  I have to remember that right now. I must remember, too, that the past is fond not because it was perfect, but because it was familiar.  It will be here, too, soon.  Just give it time.

No comments:

Post a Comment