Monday, August 11, 2014

The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)


Today's admittedly random post comes to you from weeks spent without our standard possessions- which means I've been out of my normal routine, which in turn means I've been doing atypical things like playing video games.  I'm currently on a portable system, of course (the Nintendo DS), as I'm without a TV- but playing it reminds me of my favorite system of all time, the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

The NES was released in America in 1985, but my family didn't get one until the 1988-89 time frame.  I know now that there were systems that preceded it, but back then, the NES was the first and only system I had ever known.  Once obtained, it became the thing in the house to do, and my brother and I enjoyed it so much- and fought over it so much- that we were soon relegated by our responsible parents to playing it for no more than one day a week- and then, for only one hour on that day.  Though these boundaries seemed strict, we still enjoyed the time we had with it (and, if I recall correctly, didn't seem to mind 'so little' playing time- we actually did other things in the '80s, too, like play outside and use our imaginations).  We were able to play at friends' homes, too, if they had a system and permitting parents.

a cartridge for the NES
The NES played games contained in cartridges (example shown above).  Though the cartridge was 'large,' the actual circuits inside on which the game resided was much smaller (open one some time if you doubt me).  As you'd expect, the graphics were pixelated and horrid compared to today's capabilities- but back then, it seemed amazing.  An 8-bit system!  Full color!

StarTropics screen shot- such style!

Games were actually played using a very basic controller- two buttons ('A' and 'B') plus a control pad.  I loved it then, and still do- especially compared to today's complex-25-buttons-using-all-fingers-on-both-hands-and-several-toes-controllers.  It was simple but effective.

As I said, I didn't play nearly as often as other kids, but I certainly had my favorite games.  The ubiquitous Super Mario 3 (opening screen shown below) was a favorite, as was Zelda, StarTropics, Dragon Warrior (my first-ever RPG), Ice Hockey, and Tecmo Super Bowl
The Mario 3 opening screen

Looking back 25 years now, the NES is of course dated.  It's still my favorite, though, for two reasons:
1) it reminds me of my childhood.  It certainly didn't define my childhood, but seeing the simple games makes me reminisce about a simpler time.
2) the games were simple, silly, and fun.  Today, the goal is realism- bloody, gory realism.  Back in NES days, such things were impossible- the goal was more on fun and escapism, in a sense.  True escapism in that you weren't trying to mimic reality.  Unless, of course, you expected to run into weird turtle-duck creatures which could be beaten by jumping on them.

A final point: the NES played, in my mind, a vital role in transforming our society.  My generation was perhaps the last to truly spend most of their childhood free time playing with their imaginations rather than their video games.  It has not been lost on me that most of my daughter's friends (at age 4) have iPads- and use them a lot.  Look at modern real estate- the trend is towards larger homes on smaller lots.  Why?  Most things take place indoors- and I'd argue that started with the NES (television, at the time, had too few channels to be serious competition for the whims and desires of childhood).  The NES (and subsequent generations of video game systems), plus advances in television, coupled with the spread of Internet and Personal Computer, have combined to radically change our culture.  Though I enjoyed the system, I hope I can teach my children the value of playing, using their mind, and not becoming a slave to the screen.  Hmmm . . . maybe my fond memories shouldn't be.


No comments:

Post a Comment