Thursday, August 7, 2014

Home Ownership

No, this isn't ours.

Well, it finally happened- I am now a homeowner.  After job, marriage, and children, home ownership seems (to me, anyway) to be the 'last frontier'- the final unexplored territory.  I'm probably wrong, but that's how it feels.

Interestingly, what I've felt more than anything else after taking possession of the house is responsibility.  Not pride, happiness, or exultation- weighty, crushing responsibility.  Why?  Because, for the first time, it's up to me to fix the house.  With great power comes great responsibility, as Spider-man says.  We've rented for ~13 years in various countries, and had a probably-typical mix of experiences.  Some good landlords, some bad- but regardless of quality, it was always on them to fix things.  Not me.  I had a 'justified' reason for complaint when things weren't handled speedily.  No more- now it's on me. 

It's a general rule in life, but one I don't think on often enough: privilege goes hand-in-hand with responsibility.  Now that I'm privileged to own a home, I'm responsible for maintenance and improvement.  You can't have one without the other.  May I remember that always.  I'm blessed- so may I be a good steward.

No comments:

Post a Comment