Monday, December 10, 2018

Capturing Memories

My son lost his first tooth today. He then melted down because he literally lost it, somewhere in that gooey chocolate-covered strawberry he had been munching on in the German Christmas market. We tried to console him, with little effect. After all, he argued, if I can't find it, how will I remember it?

In this information age, we feel compelled to capture everything. Look at the typical Facebook post:
I'm eating!
I'm in traffic!
I like cats!

I can't help but wonder if this mindset is healthy. I do it, too. On any given trip, I'm there with my camera, taking hundreds of photos, many of which will never be viewed again. But I need to, don't I? I just remember everything and memorialize it ad nauseum. Every little moment, every tiny milestone. I don't want to forget a thing. . .

What is our primary purpose? Is it to live for ourselves, collecting possessions, experiences, or memories at lightning speed? Whatever shall we do if we forget or misplace the tiniest momento? I think back just 150 years, when it wasn't uncommon for people to be unclear on their exact birthday- or birth year. Apparently it didn't matter so much. What did? What should?

I did grieve with my child today for his situation, all the while hoping that his life will not consist of  collecting lost body components. We're here for a higher reason. May I remember that next time I miss a photo op.

No comments:

Post a Comment