Saturday, December 29, 2018

Thus Concludes 2018


Another reading year "in the books." This post recaps the year and presents what I consider the best of the bunch.

I read 56 books this year, totaling 10,789 pages- about 29.5 pages a day.  Well down from my peak, it's better than nothing.

Of the 56 books, 1 was an audiobook, 0 were eBooks, and 31 came from the library or friends.  I did 'blitz' reading in three subjects, reading a bunch of books in a given topic to accelerate familiarity:
- public speaking
- board game design
- commentaries on the Biblical book of Jude

Here are my top ten reads from this year:

Kevin Vanhoozer: Faith Speaking Understanding
Hugh Whelchel: All Things New
Karen Swallow Prior: On Reading Well
David Macaulay: Cathedral
Various: The Art of Magic: The Gathering: Ixalan
Various: Superman: Red Son
Tracy Fullerton: Game Design Workshop
Thomas Schreiner: New American Commentary on 1, 2 Peter, Jude
HP Lovecraft: Call of Cthulhu
Various: Tales of One Thousand and One Nights

Though the above are excellent and I enjoyed other selections as well, I couldn't help but feel this was a 'down' reading year.  I can't put my finger on the cause; it just felt a little less gripping than normal.  Let's turn that around in 2019.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment