Monday, December 31, 2018

The Year in Review


As is my custom, I find it helpful to reflect upon the good and the bad of 2018.

Minimization

My 2015 focused on minimization, and I've tried to maintain that mindset since.  I've cycled my focus, going from books to Lego and (this year) board games.  I didn't get rid of that many, but did play almost all the ones I owned (trying to maintain that 'use it or lose it' mindset).

Personal Spending
I did reasonably well here, using only gift money (or proceeds from game/card sales) for personal spending.  I'm less materialistic than I used to be, but I'm not there yet; I still covet far too much.

Reading
My goals here were simple:
- Keep my "owned but unread" pile small (under 10 books)
- Read up on game design, public speaking, and history of select areas of the world (like Korea and the Balkans)

I met those goals . . . and it was valuable.  I read over 50 books this year; I'm happy with that, but may read a tad less (40?) next year.  My post here recaps this year's recommendations.

Board Games
I played a lot of games this year, and tracked my efforts for the first time (check out the master game page here for an aggregate listing of links to reviews).  The goal was to design a board game this year; I kept a journal (paper and digital), read up on design theory, and started the process, but am a long way from completion.  I hope to do so in 2019.

I did see one area of progress here- I am tempted to buy a lot less now.  I've played enough games that I generally know what I like and can identify by a quick skim of the rules whether or not I should even bother with a given title. 

Fitness
My goal was to lose 10 lbs and (in general) be in better shape; didn't happen.  Gained a few, I think, as I ran less and spent the last 10% of the year in a hotel eating out, which *really* doesn't help (I'm not disciplined enough in restaurants).

My overall fitness levels tailed off from the years prior, as shown below.  Not good!

2014: 51 runs for 104.6 miles, 98 gym workouts
2015: 47 runs for 103.0 miles, 81 gym workouts, 5 soccer games, 5 PT sessions
2016: 98 runs for 205.8 miles, 115 gym workouts, 4 bike rides
2017: 77 runs for 203.9 miles, 111 gym workouts
2018: 44 runs for  78.2 miles, 107 gym workouts, 32 yardwork sessions

Blogging
Blogging was consistent. I blogged a lot about games this year (big surprise), and started some reflections post (see earlier this month) about life in Germany. I hope next year to do more 'reflections'-style posts on our adventures.

Relocation
The latter part of the year was defined by relocating, moving back to Germany. We're stll in a hotel here, and a long way from settling in. Hopefully we'll do so quickly in 2019.

Spiritual
My relationship with the Lord still isn't where it should be. I need to figure out better approaches to prayer & Bible study within the realities of small children and early morning demands.

Parenting

This section is a verbatim repeat from last year (and the year before, and before).  I'm not a great parent. I'm too quick to anger at home- I have to remember that I can't expect my children (ages 8, 6, and 3) to act (or reason) like adults. I also get uneasy when the house is a mess- which is all the time- so I have to dial back the OCD if I have any hope of surviving their childhood. Finally, I don't do a good job cherishing the time, frequently looking away to the future when the current challenges will be overcome. May I remember that current challenges will be replaced with other, possibly harder, ones, so I need to learn to enjoy each stage for what it is. Our kids actually like us now- so may I take advantage of that rather than view it as a burden that they're CONSTANTLY in our faces, even when we're in the bathroom.

Leadership
I took several strides, or at least made some important realizations, in leadership this year. It took a few years of both professional and voluntary leadership roles, but I feel much more comfortable now with several realities of leadership- more on this in future posts.

Conclusion
Though I met a few goals, I must honestly say this year wasn't the best. Familiar struggles in several important areas remain and must get more attention in 2019.  "Never stop starting," as a friend would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment