Saturday, December 22, 2018

The Gift of the Magi (O. Henry)


With Christmas soon upon us, I read the classic short story The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry.  Published just over 100 years ago, it's the well-known tale of a husband and wife who each sacrifice their most dear possession to buy something for the other, with a surprising result.

The story has been re-told and adapted many times over; I wasn't aware it was originally by O. Henry.  It's quite short, and easily read in an evening.  I liked it- such examples of sacrifice are always humbling and point us to how we should orient our lives- though I was confused by the comparison to the Biblical magi (those wise men who brought gifts to Jesus shortly after His birth).  They gave gifts of great value, certainly, but I don't recall the Biblical account indicating that they had sacrificed everything they had.  Anyway, that aside, this is well worth your time.

Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment