Friday, December 7, 2018

Germany, day 1

Here we are again. Today we returned to Germany for another stint overseas. It was an eventful day. What started quite well quickly soured when my son peed on my wife just before boarding. The flight was, for 30 minutes, the bumpiest I've experienced. And arriving back here has brought a flood of memory.  This place is undeniably magical, but what made it special was the friends we made- many of whom are now in America. May new ones soon come. Things have changed in seven years, granting us only partial familiarity. And boy, do I miss familiar faces and routines.

There were good things about today. A thoughtful gift from an old friend brightened our check-in. A great sponsor helped us considerably. And we enjoyed again the German cooking and Christmas markets. The kids did reasonably well, and the adults did, too. Still, I can't help but feel sad. Will we make friends this time around? Did I err bringing us back? Will we adjust? Will our friends back home forget us? What does the future hold? One thought encourages: the first week of college, I recall lying on my bed, staring at the the ceiling, wondering if I could spend four years there. A week later, the Lord's grace got me to the point where I wondered if I could spend only four years there. May our adjustment be similarly swift.

No comments:

Post a Comment